Fiber Optic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiber Optic

So I'm going to be renting a office that can get fire optic brodband. The soul intent is to get my gaming servers a good kick in the rump for intenet speed. I'm going to rent out a single office with AC and an air filtration system in about 20x10 in size. I will be hosting 12 128gb servers.

Is there something better then fiber optic, the fastest resident speed I can get is 100 down 10 up which is to slow for the 4 128 servers I'm running now.

I'm also thinking about running a hotbrick and get in 4 100mb down 10 up connections.

Anybody get fiber? Love or hate it? Anybody go from 100 to fiber notice any noticable speed increases because I'm talking about a $1000 + a month investment.

Thanks

Also does anybody know if Server 2012 Windows Standard has a limit to the amount of users that can connect to it for file sharing. I can't find what the limit is but I can find 5 user CAL packs.

I don't think fiber optic is even offered where I live....:< Of course, there's probably NO way I would be able to afford it even if it was.
    "If we can just [B][I]dodge[/I][/B] the ground, we'll be fine" Fighter - 8-bit Theater

Comment

I have a friend in sweden who's on fiber, they did mention when they moved to an apartment with it that it was significantly faster feeling then similiarly rated connections they had before.

worth noting though it was still residential fiber and not business fiber rated 100 up/down and in sweden who has an internet backbone that far surpasses anything in the US/canada

Comment

I might be late to the party here, but see if they offer symmetrical service. This is typically what larger providers sell to edge network providers. You get the same up as you do down. The ISP may not be able to provide that though. I can get up to 1Gb symmetrical here but I have to go through a core provider and not the smaller ISP's. I would also have to pay an ungodly amount for that much bandwidth. I believe 50 megs symmetrical costs around $1800 per month in my market (which is way out in the middle of nowhere but still in the US).

Comment

Originally posted by Lithale View Post
          I believe 50 megs symmetrical costs around $1800 per month in my market (which is way out in the middle of nowhere but still in the US).
          yeah....there's NO way I could afford that xP
          "If we can just [B][I]dodge[/I][/B] the ground, we'll be fine" Fighter - 8-bit Theater

Comment

Working...
          X