Looking for tips.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for tips.

So I've decided to drop the whole "write a book" idea and go with the "draw a manga! 8D" idea. My reason for this is, frankly, I suck at describing things. I'd rather just point to a tree than describe what the tree looks like. A lot of my writer's block came from describing stuff, so I think if I can learn how to draw well, I won't struggle with the story quite as much.
    That being said, I am a total newb at this stuff :B.
    Anyone got any advice for a total beginner? Anyone know any good tutorials online? (preferably in video form :P)
    "If we can just [B][I]dodge[/I][/B] the ground, we'll be fine" Fighter - 8-bit Theater

Advice on what exactly? Writing manga? Drawing manga? Drawing in general?

Comment

Drawing in general, really. With emphasis on manga :P. I'm working with someone else for the story of my first manga, and I already have several ideas for stories after that.
      "If we can just [B][I]dodge[/I][/B] the ground, we'll be fine" Fighter - 8-bit Theater

Comment

need more information other then putting pencil to paper, what are you looking for? advice wise, remember drawing a manga requires a graphic artists look to shadowing and other blends that you would find in normal art.. its a little different... more input?
        "I suck at dying, I died twice and failed, so now you're all stuck with me forever..."

Comment

Shadowing, coloring (if I even decide to color. Lots of them are black and white from what I've seen, that are published at least), digital drawing (I'll probably have to learn this at some point), etc.

Comment

the shading is all crosshatched or full of dots (stippling) thats a graphic art kinda look...
            "I suck at dying, I died twice and failed, so now you're all stuck with me forever..."

Comment

....what's "crosshatched"?

Comment

you take a hatch and you cross it... duh...:P crosshatching...

Comment

Sounds like you have a lot of ground to cover Darkmessenger. Where are you currently in terms of ability? You have a Deviant page or something we could look at?

Comment

Here's a DeviantArt page: http://ryuknightalex.deviantart.com/
                    Right now I just have my second drawing uploaded (I'll upload my first probably tomorrow). The paper is dirty, and it looks like a baby face to me :B I was going for a chick in her 20's....

Comment

I'm going to list a few reference sources here that I think will really help anyone trying to get started on producing their own character art.

"Action! Cartooning" by Ben Caldwell
                      "Fantasy! Cartooning" by Ben Caldwell
                      "Character Mentor" by Tom Bancroft
                      "Creating Characters with Personality" by Tom Bancroft

I realize none of those are Manga specific, but I know "How to Draw Manga" style books are out there. I've seen them. I will also say that the offerings from Tom Bancroft are strong. But, Ben Caldwell really stole the "inspired me to draw" cake. That's saying something for an old heel like me.

Comment

Thanks Woody! I'll check those out when I can find them.

Comment

Working...
                        X