Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's all just rumor. (3/9)

It's all just rumor. (3/9)

I've read quite a few articles about what the next Xbox is and is not supposed to have. None of it's confirmed. It's all just hearsay, which doesn't impress me at all.

But, rumor or not, some folks just get all up in arms. The article I read this morning was about how Microsoft is supposedly dropping disc drives in favor of "interchangeable solid-state card storage". [more info] So of course this lead to ranting about no backwards compatibility, proprietary storage, how this was going to be the first console that is worse than it's predecessor, blah blah blah. And let's not forget the other rumors: 2013 release, tablet controller, blu-ray discs, blocking used games, $500 pricetag...

But it's all rumor, conjecture, and speculation. So it all means exactly dick. Until the dev units ship for companies to start making games, we have no idea what to expect.

Oh, and don't give me crap about Merfred. He might have had one less leg and a slightly lower IQ than his brother, but he was still better and actually worth the extra money.

-----

They're going pretty quick, but there are still Coloring Books to be had. And, I've added the "Buy-This-Print" button back to the comic page just below the comic itself.

I honestly don't see how they could work out the price-point for games installed on solid-state drives. Granted the load time would be phenomenal, but a 25GB (The size of a single-layered Blu-Ray) Solid State Hard-drive ranges from $45 (with mail-in rebate) to $140. The benefit of Blu-Rays are that, though expensive compared to DVDs, are only around $5 worth of hardware.

Let us not even consider the annoying size/storage issue. I doubt the rumors are true, because the load times honestly wouldn't be worth a $70-$80 per game price point.

Quite especially when installing games onto a console's hard drive from an optical disk media work quite well for reducing load times.. The idea of going through all the trouble and expense to make a high capacity solid state format, while at the same time making your sales more expensive, less profitable or both, when what you "gain" is so minor out of it... Well.. I'll just go back to the rumors I heard 3 years ago that the system would have a petabyte hard drive with no external media input whatsoever, as all games are to be downloaded. Ahh.. guys like me with a crummy DSL connection can savor downloading a game for 3-4 days before getting to play it, then finding out there's a mandatory 2gb patch.

Fwang
    1,670 "
    As someone who is still rockin the PS2, the biggest thing that scares me is the used game thing. I have not bought a brand new console game in ages. I intentionally stay behind the curve and any online or MMO style game is PC only for me.

I may buy a PS3 when Sony releases their next gen console and dive into all those lovely games that are already out, but for only 20 bucks a pop. The lack of a used market would deter me from ever buying a console again.
    When it comes to you versus the world, bet on the world.

I don't think the idea is too far fetched but also dont think its too accurate either.

During the next console generation, we will definitively see a shift towards downloadable games. Any next gen console introduced today must be ready for that shift.

Also, in the Blueray front, I don't think MS will want to be giving Sony any advantage. It is in MS interest to push digital movie distribution and giving users another reason to get BlueRays is counter-productive.

Media will still be needed, though, because broadband still does not have enough reach to switch everything to digital. DVDs are struggling with capacity, so some kind of 3DS type memory card to sell games does not sound unrealistic. That type of media can grow slowly with the years and you can produce lower capacity ones for games that just don't need the extra storage.

Optical media's days are counted. I will miss them, I love my disk game collection, but my fond love for physical media, disk specially wont stop time still.

Honestly, if they kept the price point at around 60$ I'd have absolutely 0 issues with them going to a flash media system over a DVD/Blu-ray. You can't scratch a memory card and your library of games that are on a memory card would be signifigantly more compact.

Fwang
    1 "
    Flash games I have no problem with, slap a $20 DVD player in it for backward compatibility and everyone wins. But no way in hell does Microsoft license the Blu-Ray from Sony.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesath View Post
    Flash games I have no problem with, slap a $20 DVD player in it for backward compatibility and everyone wins. But no way in hell does Microsoft license the Blu-Ray from Sony.
    Unless they try to resurrect HD-DVD specifically for xbox games I don't see them having much of a choice.. Developers have already complained that DVDs aren't big enough to hold the content required for today's games

Fwang
    803 "
    Breaking down some of the rumors realistically?
    Probably not solid state drives

No Used Games - could mean more focus on online distribution - ergo, your game logically can't be "used" - may also lower costs on games and open game market to more indie developers.

Tablet controller- well think of it this way - we have facebook on the 360 right?
    Connectivity to tablets (probably not as controllers) doesn't seem too wild, or unlikely.

Blu-ray disks - if its the above, I doubt it.
    "Your Words are as empty as your soul! Mankind ill needs a savior such as you!"
    "What is MAN? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk! Have at you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mordican View Post
    As someone who is still rockin the PS2, the biggest thing that scares me is the used game thing. I have not bought a brand new console game in ages. I intentionally stay behind the curve and any online or MMO style game is PC only for me.

I may buy a PS3 when Sony releases their next gen console and dive into all those lovely games that are already out, but for only 20 bucks a pop. The lack of a used market would deter me from ever buying a console again.
    If you only buy used games, and you only buy a console very rarely, then you aren't a particularly useful customer to them, so there's no particular reason for them to care if it deters you from buying a console again. The consoles themselves usually turn anywhere from very little profit to negative profit for the manufacturers, so they're perfectly happy not to sell one, if the buyer isn't also going to purchase games for it.

There's no doubt that eventually, whether in the next few years or more in the next decade, all games will be distributed on a Steam-like platform. We're already seeing it with EA's Origin, and we're going to see increasing amounts of it as time goes on. Used game sales provide absolutely no benefit to the original developer/publisher, and therefore they have no reason not to move to a format that is more convenient for people who do not buy used games, and excludes those who do.

PSN and XBox Live are likely to become the default distribution channels for consoles because the console manufacturers probably don't want someone else getting into the distribution market on their hardware.
    Muse Anthy Himemiya,
    Bard of Azure Shadows,
    Herald of Veeshan,
    Dreadmistress of Lanys T'Vyl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast