Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: /played (11/5)

I remember when A Tale in the Desert first came out. It had no travel mechanisms, just running. I loved running around for no productive purpose, just seeing what was over the horizon. The textures weren't all that diverse, mostly grass, sand and water. But the shapes of the terrain and the distant vistas and the changing patterns were all fascinating, even with such a limited palette.

And of course, there was nothing there ready to eat me, which has always been a disincentive to explore in "regular" MMOs.

Even when I am relatively buff for a given level in LotRO or WoW, it is just a slog to have to fight every green mob in order to walk through some new corner of a zone. And somehow, by the time they are all gray, the fact that they ignore you completely just breaks the illusion and spoils a lot of the fun for me. Therefore, I have always liked stealth classes in those games, to retain the illusion that the Orcs give a damn about intruders....

Fwang
    41 "
    I think a lot of the sense of wonder for me comes from the fear of death. In EQ that was a real and immediate threat. In WoW... not so much. Death is only an inconvience. On the one hand, that's made instances -- group and raid -- much more enjoyable and viable for the casual player. On the other, it's made exploring the world MUCH less thrilling and adventuresome.

I still love wandering around and I'm enjoying Pandaria despite not having a flying mount, but it's not THRILLING. Facinating, yes. There is tons to see, find, and explore. But you are more of an observer of the cute/awesome/neat things in the game rather than a daring adventurer braving the wilds. My heart never pounds (unless NPCScan goes off) while I'm out exploring like it did the first time I portaled in to the Wakening Lands, or made the run from Qeynos to Freeport (watch out for Kithicor at night!), or dove into Kedge Keep looking for a mermaid.
    Aeonesti - 90 Priest
    Kylinee - 85 Hunter
    Peons No More - Icecrown

Quote Originally Posted by Nostromos View Post
    ...I remember sitting on the boat for 20-30 minutes going across...seeing the islands before you hit Qeynos...sharing languages with people on the boat as you travelled.
    This right here is what I miss most about EQ. The sharing of the languages. Grouping up and sitting and taking the time to learn them from other players, or becoming a master at all of them and helping others do the same. If only they would update the graphics, I think my husband and I would go back to EQ in a heart beat for the play system, but we've been spoiled by modern times.

For me the real grab of everquest was the nostalgia of being a true noob. For me, I couldnt play any race without night vision, caves were death traps, night time meant sit down and wait for dawn. All because I had never heard of something called "gamma" and how it effected things. I leveled up my halfling druid to 14 IN MISTY THICKET. I had to grind that orc centurion camp because it was the only mob in the zone that still conned green to me at all. All that because I found my way to kithicor at night, not knowing that it only happened at night, and got one shot by the undead right out of the tunnel. Clearly I wasnt high level enough to move on yet!

But oh god, the day I discovered the gamma control was the day the game became amazing to me! Finally I could get my barbarian out of the entrance tunnel to their home town without pure luck. Finally I could get my night elf or ogre out of the cavern city, finally my iksar wasnt falling into the damn canals because I couldnt see the paths. Finally my halfling druid could equip a shield instead of a greater lightstone at all times.

Other than that sort of thing I really have very little nostalgia about the game. It had my attention for a few years, but that was mainly because it was the first of its type that I played. I later played dark age of camelot, and hell yeah that game was fun. But I got burnt out on the pvp so I quit. No other game really grabbed me, age of conan, lotro, none of it. Then I found WoW. I have been playing since release. I found the sense of wonder. I loved the challenge of playing an orc warlock, and to get my voidwalker pet I had to break into a cave full of warlock npcs that already HAD the void pet and fight my way past them to whatever the hell item i needed. I have quit and come back a few times now, but I never lost my sense of wonder in this game. Not entirely. I love to wander around the zones, I like to take detours when I see something that looks like I could climb it, just to see where it leads. And pandaria tends to reward that behavior. I find random items, achievement stuff, and sometimes something new and exciting. I am so glad that I am 90 now, because there are a few spots here and there I havent managed to reach. Islands and such mostly. Cant wait to see what might be there.

*EDIT* There is one feature that I really miss about everquest. Factions that mean more than "what vendor do I get my epic gear from" I loved being able to pick and choose what cities would welcome me, and what ones would try to kill me on sight. I loved feeling like a dangerous criminal in freeport, because I would constantly kill the guards just because I could on my monk, and they could never stop me due to feign death or me just punching them to death. I loved walking around a corner in rivervale and being startled at seeing a troll or an iksar hanging out there with the guards not bothering them, because they went out and did the faction work to make it happen. (Or standing over a pile of guard corpses, casually banking like there is nothing wrong with this picture.)

Yeah, i do miss those days when game worlds could seem huge, but then again everything seems bigger when you're youger, age does seem to shrink the world a bit. Xp

As for exploring, i'm loving GuildWars 2. I mean most games do offer some "easter egg" nooks and crannies with a rarer mob, or just some nice looking decoration. But GuildWars gives you whole areas and puzzles (aka Jumping puzzles) for you to solve hidden away on those nooks and crannies.

Just yesterday, i found out a whole new area (with a puzzle) inside a remote ice cave that i had been at previously a couple of times trying to find a rich ore vein. Pure awesomeness in that regard, but still the current world seems small none the less, even without mounts.

Fwang
    1,243 "
    Ahh...the EQ memories...

1) Players auctioning loot in the Commonlands Tunnel. This was before the bazaar was established, and the barter and trade that went on in that tunnel was amusing.

2) Before there was knowledge books, and teleport scions; druids were the main source of transportation. Wizzy’s could supplement, but a high level druid could make some descent plat taking people all over Norrath. But without a druid, sometimes half the challenge was getting everyone to the same zone.

3) Remember Wyrmslayer? SSOY? FFBS? Forest Loop? Back in the day, these were considered pretty decent gear to have; and “camping” for an item was born.

4) Train to the Zone! Remember when Ambassador D’Vinn went on the rampage? There were others, but D’Vinn was usually the first for most.

5) Fansy the Bard. His Tale was Epic. And his exploits gained the attention of the EQ Dev team; and they had to make some changes. His tale has been told many times over, here is the link: http://www.notacult.com/fansythefamous.htm

6) And while I am at it, there is this classic; it’s been posted before, but definitely deserves a repost. “Has Anyone Seen My Corpse?” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKDkvy9sKuY

7) Death of the Sleeper. Before "Leroy Jenkins" there was the Raid on Kerafrym the Dragon. In the gaming world, this was a big deal. http://lorehound.com/news/top-5-most...morpg-history/

I could go on, but I won’t. For many, Everquest was the “first time” for many people, and I liken the experience to your first crush, your first kiss, or first time on a rollercoaster.

I remember clearly wandering around as a human monk the Commonlands. It was pitch dark, and I would stumble into corpses, clicking on them and reading “it is futile to consider the dead…”. It was dark, and eerie, and I was lost; but I loved every minute of it. I remember getting attacked by a bear, and running for my life; hoping that I could make it to the back to the Freeport guards standing in front of the houses.

It was an amazing experience, and the adventures that followed could not be replaced or duplicated. There was a sense of community that was there, something that I have not found in any game since.

Of course the game had its problems. Broken quests, nerfed classes, lagging zones; and the list goes on. But for several years, the players took it in stride, and it was a great ride.

MMO’s will come and go, but EQ will always have a special place in my gaming heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylinee View Post
    I think a lot of the sense of wonder for me comes from the fear of death. In EQ that was a real and immediate threat. In WoW... not so much.
    This. I remember walking my lvl 8 high elf mage from gfay to erudin just to see if I could and then gating back. I don't think I killed a single monster on the way, but that run was one of the most fun things I've ever done in a game. Creeping through High Pass, watching out for Griffins and Cyclops in the Karanas, glimpsing a giant in the distance in Commonlands, taking two boats across oceans... all just to see what was there. The experience was immensely enhanced by the thought that if I died, I would materialize naked on another continent and all my gear would be hours away. The danger made the experience so much more vivid.

The reason I can't get into newer MMOs is that there is no consequences for failure, therefore there is no satisfaction in accomplishment (for me).

the Diligent Subscriber DashCat9's Avatar
    Fwang
    1,150 "
    Oh, Everquest. I know I'm probably in the minority here...but I never enjoyed that game. A bunch of my friends were playing it so I bought it, installed it and logged in. I chose to play a Dark Elf...because...Dark Elves are generally awesome. Log in. Oh, look! A big underground city! Where...am I supposed to go? How do I get out of here? Three hours of walking around, and one friend logging in to help me later...I find my way out.

Time for my first quest. My friend says "Go talk to this person". Ok...what do I do? "Oh, you need to type in this very specific response to the quest giver to get the quest". How was I supposed to know that? "...."

I get to level 13, and I encounter my first death and subsequent corpse run. Die. Run back to my corpse. Die when looting my corpse. Run back to my corpse. Die when trying to get back to my corpse. Run back to my corpse. Continue until I de-level.

/quit

I fully acknowledge that the game just wasn't my cup of tea...but I really hated that game. I always enjoyed the GU comics that it inspired, though.

As for exploration, I always enjoyed roaming around WoW trying to find all of the little easter eggs. Guild Wars 2 does a really good job of rewarding exploration, which adds extra incentive to go see and do everything.

XBL Gamertag - DarkXan

Man, EQ was the absolute best, i loved that game. I have tried sooo many other MMO's and none have given me the sense of wonder and adventure i got from my 2nd MMO; EQ. I played UO first, and was like this is great. but EQ, wow, it was mind blowing. haha i never got my class epic, stupid mob in mistmantle dropped it, and quest bugged out in freeport (i think). GM's told me too bad. ... i really miss that sense of wonder.

Anyway, Kudo's for the kiddo, hope he enjoys that boat for a LONG LONG time

Quote Originally Posted by The Heap View Post
    This. I remember walking my lvl 8 high elf mage from gfay to erudin just to see if I could and then gating back. I don't think I killed a single monster on the way, but that run was one of the most fun things I've ever done in a game. Creeping through High Pass, watching out for Griffins and Cyclops in the Karanas, glimpsing a giant in the distance in Commonlands, taking two boats across oceans... all just to see what was there. The experience was immensely enhanced by the thought that if I died, I would materialize naked on another continent and all my gear would be hours away. The danger made the experience so much more vivid.

The reason I can't get into newer MMOs is that there is no consequences for failure, therefore there is no satisfaction in accomplishment (for me).
    I also loved that. I used to run my barbarians and erudites from their starting zone all the way to the High Elves. I actually got so good at it that I could regularly do it on level 5 characters. It's all about hugging the wall and knowing the terrain.

Whenever the subject of EQ comes up, I always like to reference "Under the Sky of Norrath" which is a Japanese comic strip series that really encapsulated my feeling of wonder when I first played that game. Sadly, the English version of Etta the Wood Elf and her friend Tilto the Dark Elf's story has been lost from the Internet. About half the comics are about getting horribly killed. That's pretty much EQ in a nutshell and it was awesome.

You can see the original Japanese version here. I think I may have the English translated pages saved somewhere though.

http://www.tinami.com/view/280893

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast