Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never Forget (11/16)

Never Forget (11/16)

I read a post from someone imploring Disney to "reboot" the Star Wars prequels. I don't think that's the right direction. Yes the Prequels were bad, but rebooting them would be no better than Lucas futzing with the originals. We might as well avoid any appearance of hypocrisy. Besides, there is PLENTY of other fantastic Star Wars material to focus on.

The Prequels need to be there to remind us of what can go wrong when one person answers all his own questions and everyone around him is afraid to tell him no. Let the prequels stand. We'll move on an embrace the new movies. Besides, the prequels set the scene for the animated Clone Wars TV series (not the movie) which was so good.

And yes, I'm serious. They should re-release the Star Wars Holiday Special. Lucas didn't have anything to do with it. But, it still haunts him. That's worth the price of admission right there.

---

AFS will be going up again today. I'd really like to take in a healthy amount of GU-ized images. They're quick, they're relatively cheap. And, it only takes a hand full of them to cover the ad revenue loss. Also, there's the Fancast. As I said before, I'm working on integrating it with the website so that subscribers will get the site ad free. When it goes live, the change will be applied to all existing Fancast accounts.

Prints will also be going live again sometime this weekend.

Also, the Attention Zombies shirt is being retired. It's currently on Clearance at Shark Robot for $9.95.
    Attention: Zombies EAT ME!

I myself have no issues with the prequels at all. I understand most people are up in arms about them changing the (back)story behind some things, but they aren't really that bad.

Fwang
    358 "
    Honestly? I liked the prequels. As much as the original 3, no of course not. But I don't care that it's not cool... I really liked the podracing in ep 1. I really liked the story in ep 2. and ep 3... well.... I liked the lava light saber battle.

I think everyone expects cinematic masterpieces from the star wars films. But the supposed 'failure' of ep. 1-3 does NOTHING to detract from the genius of 4-6. If you don't like 1-3 don't watch them, pretend they don't exist.... The way I fail to recognize Johnny Cash's song "Chicken in Black."

You're going to go youtube that one now, aren't you?

I wish I could be as positive about them as you Darkpalladin.

My issues with the movies didn't involve the back story getting changed a bit*. It happened in the original three movies too. My issues were with a boring plot not savable by the action. Bad casting. Horrible acting (probably the result of piss poor direction and too much green screen work). Not a single likable character (R2-D2 excluded). Etc.

* except for midichlorians

The single best part of all three of the prequels for me was finally getting to see Yoda fight.

I rather they not touch episodes one to three, for the same reason why I dreaded their existence in the first place, there will never be any surprise or anything new will be revealed. Its like the fights that Obi-Wan were part of, we all know he is going to survive, so there was no wondering "is he going to make it".

Overall I didn't mind them that much, I just had to remember I wasn't the target audience, that target audience was the one that could get their parents to buy them the toys to go with the movie. The only thing I truly disliked was a certain CGI creature for I just found it to be grating on my nerves.

Fwang
    161 "
    The only thing that bugs me is I do like some of the expanded universe. I like the Bioware Old Republic lore. I like some of the expanded universe, specifically any Star Wars book written by Timothy Zahn (lord if he had written the prequels then it would have been gorgeous) I'm just wondering what's going to happen to it all? I know that Lucas specifically didn't have any of the expanded universe start for at least 10 years in the movie storyline so there was room for another three movies. Does anyone know if the expanded universe is just going to be overwritten?

Quote Originally Posted by shnellehope View Post
    The only thing that bugs me is I do like some of the expanded universe. I like the Bioware Old Republic lore. I like some of the expanded universe, specifically any Star Wars book written by Timothy Zahn (lord if he had written the prequels then it would have been gorgeous) I'm just wondering what's going to happen to it all? I know that Lucas specifically didn't have any of the expanded universe start for at least 10 years in the movie storyline so there was room for another three movies. Does anyone know if the expanded universe is just going to be overwritten?
    The expanded universe already has been overwritten. Mandalore is completely different from the EU versions of it now because of the Clone Wars TV series. I hope they go a different direction and set the movies in an fairly untapped area, but that's hard to accomplish.

I didn't hate Attack of the Clones or Revenge of the Sith nearly as much as I hated Phantom menace. I understand that there has always been a "children's" story aspect to the SW movies, but even RoTJ at its worst with the teddy bears beating supposed hardened Storm troopers wasn't as cringe worthy as the scene with Anakin destroying the droid mothership, I swear that movie makes me think that R2 might in fact have been the chosen one.

So no, don't reboot the prequels, I'm sure it'll never happen I can't imagine Lucas letting anyone touch his movies.

I just hope they do something some what original, as much as I think Robert Downey Jr. Would make a really cool Thrawn, I think it is even better if they set the movies in an area of the SW no one has touched.

The problem if they include any of the expanded universe they will run into problem with people complaining they got it wrong for it was not as written or they left out what they consider an important part. It happens with video games, so I can see the exact same thing happening with a Star Wars movie.

BioWare had the right idea with The Old Republic they set it so far in the past it is unrelated to other Star Wars media, but people still complained about the light sabers being too advanced according to the other media.

Fwang
    131 "
    Among all this talk of the Christmas special and prequels let's not forget the horror that was the two Ewok movies. They have Disney remake written all over them.

The writeup initially mentioned the first Ewok movie (I don't recall a second). But, I removed a large section of the writeup making the ewok movie reference unnecessary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast