Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughtful (12/10)

Well, WoW is nice because its honestly a pretty generic MMO so the jokes that arent canon specific are pretty much universal. Tradeskill jokes are tradeskill jokes, guild chat jokes are guild chat jokes, and it doesnt really matter what type of mmo you play, chances are people play something that lets them get the punchline. I say stick with WoW, toss in those random games of yours from time to time, and dont drive yourself crazy trying to be more relate able to other groups of gamers who prefer a different game or genre. That way lies madness (and burnout) I mean think about it. This comic has lasted for HOW many years? Clearly you are doing something right.

Fwang
    3 "
    Hear hear! Don't take life (or your detractors) too seriously. Do what you love and love what you do. I've been following this comic since it was primarily an EQ1 comic. Now that I've dated myself let me add that while I agree with some of what I've read, namely that some of your best work of late has been in the realm of D&D, I think its important for someone to shine an occasional satirical spotlight on gaming news because, really, those guys at the top shouldn't be taking themselves too seriously either.

As someone who's been part of table top RPGs in the past, I know first hand how irreverent and downright raunchy some of the humor can get in those games and how quickly inside jokes can form. For some of those gags, that may require more than a PG-13 label, maybe a spinoff comic with an age requirement and more regular updates on the D&D game (so we can follow some of those inside jokes) could be considered.

Part of the draw of this comic, for me, has been its mix of gaming news satire and its glimpses into all sorts of other MMOs that I may not otherwise know about or think to try. Admittedly, I don't stick with them all, but I feel like I'm a more rounded (and not just round) gamer for it. I think this comic would loose something if it focused in on one game (fictional or not) to the exclusion of others, or it if stopped following the gaming world's news. Cornball jokes, word play and horrid puns are always welcome by me.

Jepster

Fwang
    26 "
    I love the current format, covering all aspects of gaming. There are many games, with many guilds, so the old /gu still stands in my humble opinion. I first ran across GU back when I played Everquest on the ye olde Prexus server and have loved it ever since.

Viva la GU!

Still playing EQ1 here, never stopped. I did check out WoW,got bored, played EQ2 for a while, just didn't do it for me. As to the comic, I actually enjoy seeing it about a variety of subjects, even if I don't get all the jokes relating to some specific games.

Woody, I've read GU Comics from close to the beginning. Back when it was /GU... To tell the truth, I do miss the days when it was the simple in-jokes about EQ. The simpler gags rather than the heavier industry commentary, the tongue in cheek look at some of the absurdity of in-game lore and such.

However, I do still like it very much as it is now and still read the comic every day that I can. It gets a bit heavy on the snark and seems a bit bitter sometimes, but overall, GU is still one of my favorite comics.

Edit: Games I'm currently playing ( when I have time between work and baby ) :
    The Secret World
    Torchlight II
    Master of Orion 2 ( Dug up out of the archives. )

...and seriously suffering City of Heroes withdrawal.
    "There are no happy endings because nothing ever really ends"
    -Schmendric, The Last Unicorn

Woody, I've read your comics since I started playing Everquest One and I will say I played SWToR for a long time and the last mentioning I saw of GU in general chat was positive on night before I had to take some time off. Quite a few people knew about the site and spoke well of it.

I find you are at your best when you are enjoying the game you are writing about. Personally, I think you should try going back to the original everquest and just tool around. Take a ride down memory lane. I do that a lot when things seem down to remind myself of where I come from and it helps me remember where I want to go.

As far as the writing, maybe check the forums on Fanfiction.net or something like that and look for a beta to toss ideas back and forth it with. I know a lot of very good writers are on there that have some pretty solid ideas and great humor and most of them are major geeks. Just a suggestion though

I always liked your Everquest and Lord of the Rings comics in truth and would love to see you do some Halo comics!!!! Currently I am playing LoTRO, WoW, SWToR, Halo 4, and trying to fight the urge to load pokemon on my Ipad lol. I hope this helps.

Remember, a lot of people still read your comic and enjoy it. Relax and don't be too hard on yourself Woody. You have a lot left in the tank to take you very far!

Fwang
    24 "
    What game? Just recently started again with EQ1, would be great to see GU (/GU!) go back to it's roots, at least for a visit =)

I'm not gonna offer any advice here Woody, cuz really, what do I know about your business?

But I will say this: GU has been a daily destination for me for over 12 years now. You are a great artist, a funny man and ridiculously under-appreciated. Thank you for all the laughs.

P.S. Ever considered revisiting the fairy/warrior/candyass comic, in light of all EQ's changes? could be good for a laugh.

I'll just add to the chorus of people saying not to listen to anybody in general chat in an MMO, especially one that sucks.

I'm sort of "between games" right now. All of the current MMO's have lost their luster, and it feels like I'm just playing fetch when I play them (sort of like a recent Penny Arcade comic). I do have a bunch of WII U games on my Christmas list and plan on jumping head first into console gaming for the first time in ... ever.

Dude you should totally have Ted get into Hello Kitty Island heh JK.
    As for what i am playin WoW, Saints Row, FTL, X-Com, Batman Arkam City, and Skyrim. But yeah Ted playin HKI.
    Doomhammer:
    Zaenon 85 Rogue / Jaludin 85 Mage
    Dohbane 85 Hunter / Chaanaana 85 Warrior

Fwang
    104 "
    If I had to pick 1 game then it would be WoW. My biggest thrill with GU is still when you went with the deathjaw / trapjaw idea (have it bookmarked).

Getting relatability back as you put it is going to be extremely difficult these days as there are just so many MMO's around and you can't write for / play with everyone. Though I do think it's time you set Ted on the smack talking Sith Wannabies in SWtOR. with a good old fiery avenger, http://gucomics.com/comic/?cdate=20000712 ;-)
    WoW, Aggramar (English) Server
    Deathforge, Pitt, Gnomevenom & Scalp

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast