Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrie Fisher (12/27)

Carrie Fisher (12/27)

Carrie Fisher, best known for her tireless work challenging mental health stigma and for her role as Princess Leia in the Star Wars Universe, passed away Tuesday morning, December 27th. She drowned in moonlight, strangled by her own bra.

As requested.
    I really can't say any more than that. I just don't have it in me.

Fwang
    1,176 "
    She was everything a princess was supposed to be to me as I grew up. I cannot even begin to count the hours spent watching her and the rest of the cast in my all time favourite film series. I actually had to fight some tears when I saw this news and it still breaks my heart Excellent tribute Woody. Just excellent.
    I'm going to stab you.....with bullets.

Fwang
    115 "
    I'm gonna say this in as polite a way as it deserves.

"Fuck you, 2016. Worst year ever!"
    My Warlock pwnz!

Fwang
    141 "
    And Debbie Reynolds has passed on......

Jeez 2016 has sucked hard for celebrity passings >_<
    Infamy, Infamy, they've all got it in for me !

Quote Originally Posted by Paprika View Post
    And Debbie Reynolds has passed on......
    Yep, I was just gonna say and now a day later, Carrie's mother followed her... not an auspicious year.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away, and you have their shoes.

I typically don't shed tears when someone passes that I don't directly know. There were two exceptions to that this year, Prince and Carrie Fisher. But something odd happened while processing the latter. When it fully sank in I found that I was actually mad. Mad at a year. Mad at 2016 for the things and people it has taken from us. It was an interesting realization. I'd heard so many people say they were done with 2016. I dismissed it as a silly notion. I finally felt it 12/27. Silly though it may be, I am done with 2016.

As for the comic, it never occurred to me to draw Carrie as Princess Leia for this tribute. When I think Carrie Fisher, I think about her and Gary. I think about her one woman show, her roast of George Lucas, her ceaseless assault on the stigma surrounding mental health issues, and her complete unwillingness to suffer dumb questions from an interviewer. As far as tributes go, nothing else felt appropriate.

I normally don't think a whole lot about celebrity deaths. Not because I don't care about them as people, but because I've rarely met any of them and I personally find it hard to attach emotion to people I haven't truly met. Carrie Fisher though, much like Christopher Lee last year, was simply so much a part of growing up for me that I can't help but be affected even without having ever met her. I was introduced to Fisher through Star Wars at the age of six, back when there wasn't anything but the original trilogy of unmodified releases, and in a lot of ways her role as Princess Leia always set the gold standard for me for strong female characters. Being somewhat of a rabid fan of the series where I was younger, I also learned a lot from her in other ways when she spoke about many of the rough patches of her life, such as her struggles with addiction and depression.

I am very much glad that some people, such as yourself, choose to remember and honor her for more than just that single iconic role, and my heart and prayers go out to her remaining family, who have not only lost her but her mother as well in a few short and tragic days. And, like Woody said, I find myself actually starting to buy unconsciously into the idea of anger at a year. I, too, found it a silly or humorous concept when it was brought up across the internet. But now, I really just want it over and done with, without any more tragedy. Though, I'm almost afraid to say something like that, lest fate be tempted.
    The Discordant Dreams of Electric Sheep - Short Stories, Science Fiction & Fantasy Book Reviews, and General Ramblings

Fwang
    141 "
    The thing for me is that a lot of the celebrities that are passing away are ones I remember from my teenage years - and let's be fair most people will admit the teen years were very instrumental in making them the person the are today. The original star wars films, Blakes 7, Greg Lake, Status Quo... they were all part of me being an '80's teen (God I feel old now).

For those who want to see a fuller list then the BBC website has a long list http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38418802
    Infamy, Infamy, they've all got it in for me !

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    As for the comic, it never occurred to me to draw Carrie as Princess Leia for this tribute. When I think Carrie Fisher, I think about her and Gary. I think about her one woman show, her roast of George Lucas, her ceaseless assault on the stigma surrounding mental health issues, and her complete unwillingness to suffer dumb questions from an interviewer. As far as tributes go, nothing else felt appropriate.
    See Woody, it's things like that that make me wish your forum had some sort of rating system so I could "like" your post.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away, and you have their shoes.

You've had a hard job with these this year sir, and they've been masterful even for the ones who have been of lesser interest to me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast