Thread: Game Music

Fwang
    421 "

Game Music

I know many people listen to their own music while playing games on their computer, so I have a question...

Do you tend to mix up the music you play, or do you always put on a certain piece/set of music for a certain game? I ask, because I find myself in the curious position of not being able to listen to any of the music from the Top Gun soundtrack without getting an urge to play the Exile series... Has anyone else had this happen to them?
    Brandoch - 31 Dwarven Hunter - Whisperwind
    Varaha - 14 Human Priest - Whisperwind
    Keiran - 13 Night Elf Warrior - Whisperwind

i tend to stick to the ingame music. if i try running winnamp in the background it usually hurts game performance. i have a 2nd box next to me running chat clients and web browser for info but i haven't bothered to get the sound working on it.
    All the technology in the world doesn\'t matter if the majority of your population is mind numbingly stupid.

I listen to .hack/sign music while I am in CoH, for some odd reason is makes the grinding that much easier
    Venerable Binaman TheWinterWolf
    64 Shaman of Mith Marr
    http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=371460

Fwang
    337 "
    when doing LDoNs i like to play 'The House Connection 1&2' (Richard "Humpty" Visson and Bad Boy Bill)...each one is about 60 minutes long, and has a great beat and variance in melody for LDoN.

Fwang
    84 "
    I used to play playlists seperated by artist ... Beatles, Stevie Nicks, whatever I felt like listening to. Since the DX9 update has made it dangerous to alt-enter though, I can't change my playlists once I'm in game, so lately I just put my whole mass of MP3s on random.

NOTE: Computers can't really make random numbers. If you have hundreds of MP3s on random, you'll notice it always plays the same 20 songs first. Both Winamp and media player. The way to do large lists is to add them all to a playlist, then randomize the playlist, then play it sequentially.

Quote Originally Posted by Aelvana Luvlana
    NOTE: Computers can't really make random numbers.
    Technically, there are no random numbers. A random number generator takes a seed and from that calculates a succesion of numbers that appear random. From the same seed you will always get the same order of "random" numbers. The trick is to use a different seed each time. For example the time of day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelvana Luvlana
    If you have hundreds of MP3s on random, you'll notice it always plays the same 20 songs first. Both Winamp and media player.
    Both randomize their playlist once, and then play it in that (randomized) order ad nauseum. So, to really have a random music experience, you would have to randomize the playlist again each time you have completely played through it.

For myself, I have half my music collection (the part I can still stand) in mp3s on my computer and listen to whatever I feel like at that moment. It's more than 6Gb by now, so I don't run into too much doubles.

It works the other way around too. I still get strange looks each time I hum the fight melody of EQ in our pen and paper roleplaying sessions.
    4 8 15 16 23 42

Do you tend to mix up the music you play, or do you always put on a certain piece/set of music for a certain game?
    I go back and forth. Sometimes I just listen to the game music, sometimes I play the radio, and sometimes I just put on a CD. When I was in Horizons' beta, I played their ingame music exclusively. They had wonderful ingame music which I saved when Horizons was removed from my harddrive.

find myself in the curious position of not being able to listen to any of the music from the Top Gun soundtrack without getting an urge to play the Exile series... Has anyone else had this happen to them?
    Well, when I get a new CD, I tend to play it exclusively until I get tired of it. I know I shouldn't, but I do it everytime I get a new CD. I have the connections. For instance, I got "Beautiful Garbage" shortly after Luclin came out. Everytime I play the CD, I remember sitting outside Katta Castellum farming wailing substance for smithing.

It doesn't just happen with games though, I just make those sort of connections with everything. I have a Smash Mouth CD that triggers memories of when my family took a roadtrip to Chicago from Houston.

That's just the way my memory works. I make certain connections between things and thinking of one triggers the other. It works this way for me with smells too. I've heard the olfactory sense is the closest linked sense we have to memory. I'm sure everyone could think of at least one scent that triggers some sort of childhood memory for them.

Just interesting how our minds work sometimes!

Fwang
    569 "
    When I play any fantasy game, a la EQ (which, by the way, I quit to try out new MMORPGS), I tend to listen to "Godspeed you black emperor!" (my icon)

Really good instrumentals.